Beauty Article - April/May 22
16 Genius Beauty Hacks
From make-up tips to haircare advice, these tips could make your life easier.
- When you paint your nails, start from your little finger rather than your thumb. You’ll lower the risk of smudging your freshly painted nails.
- Matte lipstick is on-trend but very unforgiving. Before using it, mix a dash of olive oil with half a teaspoon of brown sugar to treat your lips to a DIY lip scrub.
- Clean your make-up brushes regularly with facial cleanser or a mild shampoo. Rinse thoroughly and leave to air dry.
- Don’t test foundation on your hand – you won’t get a good colour match. Instead, try it on your jawline.
- Wrap a small scoop of porridge oats up in a muslin cloth and tie the ends to secure. Drop it in your bath while the water is running. The oat oils work wonders on dry skin.
- Leave at least a day between shaving/waxing and applying fake tan. Otherwise, you risk causing irritation and ending up with a patchy tan.
- Not keen on heavily fragranced body oils? Switch to pure almond oil. Add a few drops of essential oil if you want a hint of natural fragrance.
- Leave your facial cleanser to soak in for a few minutes before wiping it off. It’ll act as a mini face pack. This works particularly well with balm cleansers.
- Appy eye cream with your ring finger. It’s the weakest so you’re less likely to pull at the skin. Dab (rather than rub) the cream in.
- If you often forget to apply SPF in the cooler months, try swapping your foundation for a tinted SPF cream.
- Hair feeling lank or lacklustre? Try switching to a shampoo that’s free from sulphates and silicones. Sulphates can strip hair of its natural, healthy oils, while silicones can build up over time and weigh hair down.
- Put wet hair in multiple plaits before bed for easy curls the next day. Brush through if you want looser waves.
- Freshly washed hair is harder to style. So if you have a big night out coming up, wash your hair the day before. It’ll then hold its style better for your evening out.
- Rather than splashing out on expensive travel-sized products (they can be more than double the price per ml), decant your usual products into small reusable containers.
- Do you subscribe to Birchbox or a similar subscription box? Save the products you don’t fancy throughout the year. By Christmas, you’ll have a stack of cracker prizes and stocking fillers. You could even use them to fill a personalised advent calendar for a friend.
- Skin and hair changes as we age, so what worked for you a few years ago may not be as effective today. Embrace the chance to try something new!